RATHFARNHAM PARISH N.S
Child Protection Policy
The Board of Management recognises that child protection and welfare considerations permeate all aspects of school life and must be reflected in all of the school’s policies, practices and activities. Accordingly, in accordance with the requirements of the Department of Education & Skills’ Child Protection Procedures for Primary and Post-Primary Schools, the Board of Management of Rathfarnham Parish National School has agreed the following Child Protection Policy:
- The Board of Management has adopted and will implement fully and without modification the Department’s Child Protection Procedures for Primary and Post-Primary Schools as part of this overall child protection policy.
2. The Designated Liaison Person (DLP) is Joyce Perdue.
3. The Deputy Designated Liaison Person (DDLP) is Patricia England.
4. In its policies, practices and activities,Rathfarnham Parish National School will adhere to the following principles of best practice in child protection and welfare. The school will:
- Recognise that the protection and welfare of children is of paramount importance, regardless of all other considerations.
- Fully co-operate with the relevant statutory authorities in relation to child protection and welfare matters.
- Adopt safe practices to minimise the possibility of harm or accidents happening to children and protect workers from the necessity to take unnecessary risks that may leave themselves open to accusations of abuse or neglect.
- Develop a practice of openness with parents and encourage parental involvement in the education of their children.
- Fully respect confidentiality requirements in dealing with child protection matters.
The school will also adhere to the above principles in relation to any adult pupil/staff with a special vulnerability.
5. Other school policies, practices and activities that are particularly relevant to child protection:
- Code of Behaviour
- Anti-Bullying Policy
- Supervision of Pupils Policy
- School tour policy
- Special Education Policy
- Extra-curricular activities
- Garda vetting procedures
The Board has ensured that the necessary policies, protocols or practices as appropriate are in place in respect of each of the above listed items.
6. This policy has been made available to all school personnel and the Parent Teacher Association and is readily available to parents on the school website www.rathfarnhamparishns.scoilnet.ie and in the Plean Scoile.
A copy of this policy will be made available to the Department of Education and Skills, and to the Patron, if requested.
- This policy will be reviewed by the Board once in every school year.
This policy was adopted by the Board of Management on 14th December 2011 and replaced the previous Child Protection Policy. It will be reviewed annually by the Board of Management and updated as necessary.