Hello from the PTA Committee! This is a quick update to let you know what the PTA has been organising in the school and where we’ve spent the money you’ve helped us raise.
The main fundraiser for the PTA is the Sponsored Walk, which we hold in Bushy Park each year. The money raised from last year’s event has been put towards new furniture in 3rd and 4th classes and the repair of the stage (which we use for the class plays). This year’s walk is planned for the end of May (date to be confirmed shortly) and all funds raised will be going towards the school’s IT infrastructure, which is in need of updating to cope with ever increasing demands!
The PTA has organised and supported several events during the year. Nigel Donovan kindly ran another Internet Safety information evening for us in February and we held our Spring Social in Ballyroan Community Centre in early March, which was well attended – and dancing finally took off once the DJ realised we were parents and adjusted his play set accordingly!
We are currently helping to sponsor and run Food Dudes 2 for Junior and Senior Infants (who missed the programme first time around), which will conclude just after the midterm break. Thanks to Joan Carty for her work on putting the rota together and to Patricia England and Lorraine Loftus for running it in the two classes. We hope to continue this theme of encouraging healthy eating in the September term – watch this space!
The PTA will also be helping to subsidise the cost of the 6th class trip, as we did last year.
In an effort to ensure we are all well-informed and equipped for Road Safety, we contacted the Road Safety Authority (RSA) for up-to-date information and have included some of this on our PTA notice board just inside the main school door – check it out when you’re passing or have a look at their website www.rsa.ie. Of particular interest are the updated regulations regarding child booster seats (full details on the notice board).
As ever, we are grateful to the class reps for their help during the year and for organising volunteers when needed – we’ll be looking for assistance again during the Sponsored Walk and for the Tuck Shop rota for Sports Day!
If you have any feedback, please let us know! We’ve several initiatives planned for the start of the next school year – so keep an eye on our page on the school website.
Summer Term 2012
The PTA has met on several occasions throughout the shool year and has been involved in different activities on behalf of the school. Remember every parent/guardian is a member of the PTA and the committee would like to urge parents to support the PTA events and activities. Helpers are always needed so please don’t be shy about volunteering.
After all, everything we do is for the benefit of all our children!
WHAT WE’VE DONE THIS YEAR…
- This year the PTA has funded the laying of artificial grass in the garden. This has made a huge difference as many small feet running around means that regular grass can’t grow. The children love the transformed garden and spend lots of time playing there.
- In addition, the PTA supported a considerable investment in new reading materials at the Junior end of the school. The children in our school have reached a high standard of reading and needed new materials to support the Oxford Reading Tree scheme which is currently in use. These books are expensive but are a worthwhile investment as they are high interest and further develop this important skill.
- The PTA was pleased to be able to support the pupils with a contribution towards the cost of the school trip to the Gaeltacht this year. This was the first year that the pupils went on such as long trip and it was a resounding success. We hope it may continue for other classes in the future.
- Some of the PTA committee worked very hard on producing a school cookbook which was a great success – so much so that all copies sold out very quickly. However, for those of you who were disappointed or who would like to get copies for family and friends, the book has gone to a second print run and is now available from Janet Gillis (087 2665063).
- The PTA organised Mr. Brendan McCabe to give a talk to parents on bullying earlier this term. This was an excellent presentation and all the parents present commented on how valuable and interesting it was.
At various times the PTA needs sponsorship. A big thank you to those businesses and individuals who have supported the PTA’s efforts. If you can offer sponsorship in the future, please let us know.
In the meantime please support the following who are happy to support us!
Allison Construction, Insights, Sherry Fitzgerald, Mulveys of Dundrum, David Young Cars, Outsourceme, Johnston Mooney & O’Brien, Hiltons Pharmacy, M.Lennon Catering, EdCo, Trinity Taxis, Olvi Oils, Jacobs, LKG Solicitors, Grafton Medical Centre, Brennans Pharmacy.
Ther present PTA committee will have three vacancies next year as three members complete their terms of office. Therefore we’re looking for interested parents to become involved. Please come to the AGM in October or if you can’t attend let us know if you’re interested in letting your name go forward.
In the past few years the PTA decided to appoint parents as class reps. This parent acts as a liaison between the PTA and a particular class and makes it easier to get information to all parents. A big thank you to the present PTA reps:
Maggie Boyd (Junior Infants), Louise Sykes (Senior Infants), Barbara MacDonald (Rang 1), Carrie Hamilton (Rang 2), Ilse Solomon (Rang 3), Elaine Tuite (Rang 4), Susan Lew (Rang 5), Miriam Griffith and Susan Landy (Rang 6). We would like to take this opportunity to thank the class reps for their support and work this year.
Parking and traffic on the laneway continues to be a problem and we are once again appealing to parents to obey a few courtesies for everyone’s convenience and safety:
- please do not stop in the middle of the laneway to let children in or out of cars.
- be mindful of our neighbours and please don’t block access to their houses.
- young children need to be closely supervised at all times and should not be allowed to play in the laneway.
- ask your children not to walk in the middle of the road at the end of the school day, they should keep to the side so traffic can pass.
It’s that time of the year again and we’re asking parents who shop in Tesco to collect the tokens for the school. In the past the tokens have been exchanged for a variety of P.E. equipment as well as some gardening tools.
However, counting the tokens takes hours! We would greatly appreciate it if you would count tokens and put them into bundles of 10/20/100 prior to sending them in to school. It would make several ‘counters’ very happy! Also if you are willing to help with counting tokens, please let us know.
PLANS FOR THE FUTURE…
At the most recent PTA meeting it was decided to plan towards the future and see what parents, teachers and pupils would like to see in school. If you have any ideas about the direction the PTA might take in coming years when planning fund raising activities, please fill in the comment form below. Put in everything, even if you think it’s impossible!
Below is information on PTA activities for the rest of the term. We hope to see you there
The Sponsored Walk is one of the PTA’s major fund-raising events in the school calendar and one which the children love. This year the walk will be held in Bushy Park on Thursday 31st May (polling day!). Meet at the kiosk at about 6 p.m. The walk starts at 6.30 p.m. Children and adults are encouraged to dress up in fancy dress for the occasion which always makes it a fun event for everyone. Anyone who is willing to help out on the night is greatly appreciated. Also can we remind parents that they are responsible for supervising their younger children and ask parents to impress upon children the importance of picking up their litter.
Thank you in advance to all of you who support the children both with sponsorship and costume making!
The School Sports will take place in 3 Rock Rovers Cricket pitch on Friday 15th June. All children are to be collected from school at 1.05 and the sports will begin at 2 p.m. sharp. All are welcome – why not bring a picnic and make it a real family day out? The PTA will run a tuckshop at the School Sports.
6th CLASS BARBEQUE
There will be an end of year barbeque for 6th class pupils and their parents on Friday 22nd June from 7.30-10 p.m. in the school hall (or outside if the weather is good enough!) We hope that all 6th class and their parents can attend. Thank you to 5th class parents for organising this.
END OF YEAR DISCO
Due to its great success last year, the end of year disco for pupils in 5th &
6th classes will take place in the Memorial Hall on Tuesday 26th June. This is for senior class pupils only and will run from 7.30-10.30 p.m.
There will be a book swop on Wednesday 27th June in the school hall between 1 and 2.30 p.m. If you have textbooks that are not written in please bring them in and pass them on to someone else. There will also be a facility to pass on hockey equipment and sports gear. If you don’t have any books to swop, please still come along. You can give a donation instead for any books/equipment you pick up.